Monday, January 27, 2014

Library as Sanctuary



"A library is a good place to go when you feel unhappy, for there, in a book, you may find encouragement and comfort.  A library is a good place to go when you feel bewildered or undecided, for there, in a book, you may have your questions answered." 
                                                     --E.B. White (author of Charlotte's Web and Stuart Little)
North Hollywood Library


Children's Reading Room
My first memory of a library was in the children's room of the North Hollywood Library (now called the Amelia Earhart Library) in North Hollywood Park.  It looked a lot like it does today, but the high ceiling & upper windows letting in lots of light weren't part of the room.  The dark bookshelves were there and they were stocked with all the books I loved.  Mrs. Gould, the children's librarian was there, too.  It was cozy, welcoming, and my weekly visits were wonderful.  I decided early on that a would be a librarian.

George Peabody Library, Baltimore, MD


All Souls College, Oxford, UK

Here are a few photos of libraries I have visited, along with lovely library quotes, courtesy of Daniel Dalton of Buzzfeed.  Please share some of your favorite libraries in the comment section.  I'd love to add them to my list of places to go and things to see! 


Long Room at Trinity College, Dublin, Ireland
 
New York Public Library
Mrs. Hodge

  
Stuttgart City Library, Stuttgart, Germany
I've never been here, but I'd love to see it!  I'd also like to know how they keep everything so clean!








  






No comments:

Post a Comment