Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Read anything Pinteresting lately?


I’m extremely selective when it comes to social media.  It really has to be worth checking daily to enhance the quality of my life, or I'm not interested.  I tried, then dropped Twitter.  I figured if Tina Fey's tweets weren't that interesting, whose would be?  I’m technically a member of LinkedIn, but I never, never use it.  Frankly, I’m not sure why I would ever use it.  I keep in touch with fellow independent school librarians through our handy-dandy listserv through email—the old fashioned way. 
Facebook has been a wonderful link to my kids and grandkids, as well as old friends, and graduates of Prep.  My favorite addition to my tiny arsenal of social media sites has been *Pinterest.* Our family has used it to create a group board for the purpose of planning my daughter’s wedding, I follow boards of Prep graduates, family members, and interesting strangers. I’ve saved books to read, places to go, recipes to try, organizational ideas, cool crafts, helpful handy household hints, and librarian stuff.  Yes, I have a board called “Librarian Stuff.”  It’s a technical term. 

And, along with some of my colleagues from around the country, I contribute to a group board called “Interesting things librarians do in their libraries.”  This is instant networking I can wholeheartedly support!  Above is a fine example of a Banned Books Week display that I’d love to try…

And here is another banned books idea that would be fun…


Who wouldn’t want to have Jon Stewart explain the importance of books? 

Yes, this is librarian geekdom at its very finest!  I guess this is a commercial for Pinterest.  It's great for people who are visual, who are tired of maintaining paper files of good ideas, who want to go to a single place where they can save great stuff to do, to remember, to see, to hear, to read, to eat, to wear, to try.  Check it out to see what Pinterest can do for you!

Mrs. Hodge

No comments:

Post a Comment